Money Clips: A collection of interesting news that may or may not be about money.
- Donate. First of all, text “HAITI” to 90999 to donate $10 to the American Red Cross relief for Haiti. The charge will appear on your cell phone bill. No, it’s not a scam. (Find other text-to-donate efforts here.)
- Skinny house makes fat money. A 9 ½-foot wide town house with two bedrooms and two baths in New York City’s Greenwich Village recently sold for $2.1 million dollars.
- Want Verizon FiOS? Get on that. If you don’t do so before Sunday, you’ll face an early termination fee of $360. Wow. The story in the Consumerist.
- America the pessimistic. Some 70% of people think it’s harder than it used to be to achieve the American dream, and 63% think it’s not likely that they’ll get rich.
- Your SSN, in plain sight. What would you do if you found out that a bank employee was carrying your name and social security number around on a notepad?
- Your tax dollars at work. Security officials in a Montana airport didn’t notice an actual gun in a passenger’s luggage. The passenger apparently realized his screw-up and notified somebody. (How does that go? “Excuse me…”)
- But don’t worry. They got the 8-year-old. Mikey Hicks, an 8-year-old in New Jersey, gets frisked every time he flies.